Sunday 18 September 2016

New project and new horse!

Part 2 of my exciting post was this Classic sized Gammon jumping model by Lynn Fraley who arrived during the week. Although saying you've just taken delivery of a new horse imported from the States is much cooler than saying I've just got my plastic horse lol.  He's lovely and although he does have some small dings and could use some touching up, I'm really happy with him and love the sculpting on the model (apologies for the pics, one handed camera phone shots again I'm afraid).



I finally had some time this weekend to get started on making a bridle for him ~ these are pics just figuring out the length and gauging strap width, which are done with low tack tape. If you notice the gap on the noseband its because I chose a noseband with a rope insert (see the pic below showing the inspiration shot I found in a magazine). I found it handy to use a real pic for reference not only in deciding what to make but also as a guide on how wide to make the straps.



The real horse is wearing a gag bit but I fancied making my own three ring snaffle, sadly I'm not too clever at soldering so I am trying to use resin glue. I'll let you know how it holds up. Pic below shows what I'm aiming for with the bit, the brass ring was something I had lying around and its not far off the size of the three ring when you add the top loop into the equation.




I've just spent the last few hours cutting out the leather using the tape as a rough guide and deliberately cut the lengths of the straps on the tape longer than I will need as there needs to be a little extra to account for the leather being thicker than the tape and also its easier to cut a strap down if its to long but impossible to lengthen if its cut too short. Valegro photo bombed and is showing off the leather I'll be using for the keepers. 



Just a quick tip ~ the ends on a riding bridle should traditionally have bridle points (see pic below) which basically means taking a small wedge which narrows the point down to make going through keepers easier.  In-hand bridles and driving harness always have egg points on the end of the strap which are unsurprisingly cut the same shape as the top of an egg.



No comments:

Post a Comment